Before I bought the bungalow I knew I would add a kitchen diner extension at the back, as the roof was too low for a loft conversion.  Initially I planned for the extension to span the full width of the bungalow but the garage was partly in the way, so I decided to pull it in a bit.  Later I decided to pull it in even more when I realised I’d have to keep the lawnmower in my summerhouse or bring it through the house.  I did toy with the idea of moving the garage backwards but it was too much cost and upheaval for not enough gain and I knew I could make it work by extending out an additional meter.

Here is a rear picture of the bungalow before the extension started.  There was a small patio with a dwarf wall on a slight incline leading to the lawn. On the side of the garage there was a large honeysuckle which I needed to partly cut down to create access down the side of the extension.  I found a bird’s nest in the honeysuckle with 2 chicks in so moved it further down the plant where they flew the nest a few days later.  Ha ha, yes I did see them both escape, they were fat & fluffy…

About 1/3 of the garden has been lost to the extension but there is still plenty of space to sit out and the garden is quite the little sun trap.

The project took 4 skips in total, eeek!

 Andy digging the foundations (he’s much faster than me).

 At this point it looked tiny…

The concrete was dry enough to walk on the next day…